Summer Term 2017: The Armed Man
Thursday 27th April: Note the change of date from that given in the calendar. Doors open at 7.00 p.m. for collection of scores.
There are two obligatory rehearsals for this concert:
Thursday 22nd June at 7.00 p.m., in Burford Church.
Sunday 25th June at 2.30 p.m. in Burford Church.
You can also read the Chairman’s Blog for additional information.
Future dates for your diary
Saturday 27th May: Come and Sing Day with Bob and Brian at Burford School.
Saturday 30th September: Joint workshop with the English Arts Chorale on the War Requiem, in Dr Challoners High School, Cokes Lane, Little Chalfont, Buckinghamshire HP7 9QB. Further details (including transport) to follow.
Click here to access information on currently available rehearsal aids.
Our rules – in brief (the full list is here)
Membership and Subscriptions
- The membership year runs from 1st September to 31st August.
- Subscriptions must be paid in advance. You can also Gift Aid your subscription if you are a UK tax-payer and pay sufficient tax to cover the Gift Aid donation (see Gift Aid and You for more details).
- Members are only be entitled to attend rehearsals if they can sing in the concert at the end of that term.
- All membership expires at the end of each membership year.
Members are asked to inform the Membership Secretary promptly if their plans for singing with the Choir change, and to cease attending rehearsals if they find they cannot sing in the concert that term.
Applicants for membership are required to undergo a voice assessment by the Music Director or to provide evidence of musical ability; existing members of the Choir will also be asked to do so from time to time.
- You must attend at least 75% of rehearsals for those concerts, e.g. 6 out of 8 rehearsals, 9 out of 12 rehearsals: the final two rehearsals are compulsory.
- Don’t forget to ensure your attendance is noted by your section register rep.
- Be punctual and bring a pencil.
- If you have to miss a rehearsal, please phone or e-mail your section rep.
The subscription normally covers the cost of hiring the scores. Please come early to the first rehearsal to collect your score(s), and remember to hand them back at the end of the concert. David and Alison Willatts are our score secretaries. You can contact them through the Contact Form, or telephone 01608 685363.
Concerts are usually held three times each year, in November, March/April and June/early July.
Usual dress for concerts:
Women: Full-length black skirt, or smart black trousers, long-sleeved white blouse.
Men: Dinner jacket, white shirt, black bow tie.
No bottles of water are allowed on the concert platform.
We only applaud when sitting down.
The safety of children and vulnerable adults is of paramount importance to the choir, and we have a Safeguarding Policy, including guidelines for action to be taken in case concerns are raised. Follow the link above for full details.
It’s your choir!
The choir is run by its members, and everyone is encouraged to help wherever possible with background work for the Choir, e.g. preparation for concerts, fund-raising, administrative work, catering, advertising, programme preparation, etc. It is always appreciated.